Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sick of the Comments

I know my baby is small, but I'm sick of all the judgy comments.  Everywhere we go mostly well-meaning people have to point out how tiny she is.  And generally, people don't think before they speak. 

Yesterday we went out for breakfast.  Abigail was sitting in a high chair, devouring a piece of pancake.  The manager actually had the nerve to come up and ask us if her pediatrician ok'ed "table food".  As if it's any of her business!  I could see if we were being abusive or neglectful, but actually calling us out in a public place for feeding her food in a high chair when she's 6 1/2 months old is so offensive.

Here are the most common questions I get:
"How premature was she?"
"How old is she? 3 months?"
"She's little! She eating ok?"
"Do you breastfeed? Do you have to supplement with formula or have her on a special diet?"
"How much did she weigh when she was born? She must have been so tiny!"

I would love to yell at people for being so rude. In my mind I come up with clever responses, like "We actually don't feed her. We make her eat what she catches. Teaches valuable life skills".  But instead I just get upset.  I feel bad enough already that she's in the first percentile for weight, like it's somehow my fault that she's not the typical chubby baby. Of course, she's perfectly healthy, just petite. It's just that I could do without the constant reminders and feeling like someone's going to call CPS on me for making my malnourished 3-month old eat pancakes in a high chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment